Migraines Are Dumb
Migraines or chronic headaches weren’t a problem until my 40’s. I couldn’t understand the severity of what migraines do to a person until I experienced my first skull-splitting episode. Way worse than a really bad headache, times 10. Getting a daith piercing saved my sanity.
Reasons For Migraines or Chronic Headaches
Dehydration – gotta drink water EVERYDAY
Stress – tension builds up right into your noggin’
Hormonal – any gender can have hormone imbalance
Allergies – holy hay fever, Batman!
Light Sensitivity – too much light into eyeballs = bad
Weather Changes – animals aren’t the only predictors
Caffeine Withdrawal – a daily soda swig is no bueno
Back Pain – the spine connects up to our skull…
Other Pain – fill in the blank; anything can cause them
9 Ways to Relieve Migraines
- My go-to relief cocktail when I feel a migraine coming on is to take TWO EXCEDRINE MIGRAINE WITH A DR. PEPPER CHASER. Without an extra boost of caffeinated soda/cola/pop, migraines fester, going full-blown later in the day. If I was stubborn, thinking I could suppress it with mind powers, it’d get wicked.
- When my elixir of choice wouldn’t work or I waited too long, I’d succumb to DOCTOR PRESCRIBED Rx (Imitrex) that cut the pain by half (thank goodness) but caused nausea, dry-heaving, and vomiting. It was sixes whether that was worth it or not.
- I’ve tried the SOAK YOUR FEET IN HOT WATER WHILE HOLDING A COLD COMPRESS TO THE BASE OF YOUR SKULL method, sworn to work by many, but not this girl. Hot water draws blood away from the head and cold shrinks the vessels, avoiding built-up pressure/pain.
- LAYING IN A COLD, DARK ROOM IN SILENCE may reduce symptoms. Noise-cancelling headphones are handy, but can backfire for tinnitus sufferers (yours truly has it; so does Steve Martin, Ozzy Osbourne, and Captain Kirk! #themoreyouknow)
- SPINAL ADJUSTMENTS BY A CHIROPRACTOR help me a ton. Not everyone thinks they’re legit (plus it depends on your state laws on what treatments they can offer). I’ve had enough experience with not-so-good ones to magical genius level that I’m a believer… as long as you find one that works for you. I had a “minor” fender bender in 2002 that causes my back to randomly go wonky. Waiting too long without a proper adjustment, my muscles, nerves, bones, and whatever else is back there freak out and get mean, pushing migraines straight up to my skull. I genuinely don’t know what I would do without my trusted chirocrackers. My favorites are at Utah Pain Relief in Pleasant Grove, Utah (this is not an ad, I just love them so much and want others to feel better like I have with them!)
- BOTOX INJECTIONS. I know someone who’s resorted to getting Dr. prescribed botox in her face to combat chronic migraines (more than 15 in a month) and it worked for her.
- DENTAL GUARD to prevent teeth grinding while sleeping, if that’s causing headaches. Gritting your teeth when mad also cause headaches.
- ESSENTIAL OILS have been all the rage lately. They don’t cure all things, but I believe they help relieve ailments (plus they smell yummy). A roller ball of witch hazel + lavender oil + peppermint oil to the base of my neck and behind my ears bring relief to my headaches and tension. Use LUCKYBLOGS discount code at Spark Naturals for 10% off.
- DAITH PIERCING – an inner ear cartilage piercing done by an experienced professional piercer based on acupuncture practices. Piercers won’t guarantee a daith piercing will relieve pain or migraines, most medical professionals swear it doesn’t work – claiming it’s a placebo – but if you had lots of migraines before then rarely after…? Everyone I’ve come across who’s had it done said that it got rid of most if not all their headaches/migraines. For less than the cost of the doctor prescribed migraine meds, I felt like it was worth a try.
Daith Piercing (rhymes with goth) – I Have One!
Deciding to get my daith pierced once I heard about it from a friend took little time. I was having at least 3 headaches/migraines a week, getting tired of taking so many pills, and exhausted from migraine hangovers. The pain was controlling my freedom and the thought of something as simple as an earring intrigued me. If it didn’t work, it’d be a cute accessory or I could pull it out!
If you’re not going to pierce both daiths, then choose the side where your headaches start. One for me worked!
After researching, I decided on Koi Piercing Studio in Salt Lake City, Utah. All they do is piercing (a good indicator they know what they’re doing), plus they’re stocked with a huge variety of jewelry.
Each piercer has their own clean space with surgical supplies for sterilization. They explain how the process will go and care instructions for your piercing (Keep it clean, showering is enough, and don’t touch it!)
My piercer, Dj, sent me off with his cell phone number to text anytime I have questions about my piercing. That’s great service.
We returned a week later to pierce my 14 year old’s earlobes (which were a redo from a poor experience at Claire’s when she was younger).
Piercing minors at KOI: you must bring parent/guardian with ID, minor’s birth certificate, and their ID if 16+.
What It Felt Like To Get My Daith Piercing
Dj cleaned my ear and applied a topical numbing solution while I laid on a table. He used a hollow surgical needle plus a glass tube (for the needle to exit into) then the earring I selected. The most important part of the whole process for me (and my daughter when she had her earlobes done) was to take deep, steady breaths. He pierced on my exhale and I felt nothing but a whoosh sensation with little pressure – no pain, pierce, or tweak. It was eleventy-million times better than getting my lobes pierced with a gun when I was younger.
6 Months Post Daith Piercing
Daith Piercing – Does It Work? Had a light headache the next day, but my episodes went from 3+ per week to less than 3 per month with only 2 migraines in 6 months. Whether that’s a placebo, I don’t care – it works for me!
Healing: Cartilage piercings take longer than lobes due to the thicker material, with the daith healing from outside inward in about a year. Some crusting happens, which means it’s healing; regular showering should be enough to keep it clean. Another way is soaking it in salt water, but leaning my head sideways into a cup doesn’t seem like it would be as comfortable as taking a shower. Especially in the beginning stages of healing, avoid bacteria by keeping piercings dry in pools and spas.
Problems With It? The only time I’ve had issues is if I skipped showering for a couple days (built up crust) and when I played with it about 2 months in. Remember that it heals from the outside in… I fiddled with the ring while watching TV. The next morning my daith was swollen, so I washed it in the shower then added salt water piercing spray and left it alone. It chilled out within 3 days and I learned my lesson.
Should You Get Your Daith Pierced?
Only you can answer that.
Some people say: it hurts (didn’t hurt me), doesn’t work (works wonders for me), takes forever to heal (be patient), causes more problems (maybe they used an inferior metal or material they’re allergic to – try surgical steel or gold), or looks unprofessional (choose a less conspicuous color or hairstyle that conceals it if you’re worried). I’d rather have pain relief than worry about what people think of my earring… think about your health!